Perhaps you associate the road trips of your youth with hours spent cramped in the car, fighting with your siblings over who got the window seat while asking “are we there yet” no less than one million times.
Regardless of the degree of fondness (or lack thereof) with which you recall these family vacations, the all-American road trip is quickly making a resurgence, with huge numbers of travelers now opting for drivable destinations.
With its widely varied and breathtaking scenery coupled with pleasant weather, California features some of the best stretches of open road anywhere. Whether you want to lay on a beach, watch a desert sunrise, or rejuvenate in the mountains, the Golden State has it all.
Road Trip to the Central Coast
Start off with a seaside hike in Point Mugu State Park just north of Los Angeles. Then cruise up the coast on scenic Highway 101 and soak in stunning panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean.
Take a quick detour off Route 1 and head to the quaint Danish-inspired town of Solvang, filled with delicious bakeries and novelty shops. See the route here.
Cap off your trip with a few days of R&R in Oxnard, the Strawberry Capital of the World! Enjoy a day of relaxing on the beach, kayaking in the Channel Islands Harbor, or perusing the world-class farmers market.
Book a stay at Channel Island Shores, just one block from the beach. You can also request a suite with a hot tub on your patio! And if you’re in the mood for adventure, head to Channel Islands National Park, located just ten minutes from the resort!
Enjoy the Journey
As they say, half the fun is getting there.
Although we all have gadgets on hand 24/7, why not revive vintage road trip entertainment as well? After all, a big part of being on the road is bonding with your passengers.
Check out the following road trip entertainment suggestions, both classic and new:
• Pick a random roadside attraction to visit in each town. An old ghost town? The country’s largest thermometer? A prairie dog sanctuary? Yes to all, because why not?
• Play “I spy” using the letters of the alphabet. For example, one person has to spot a road sign with the letter “A,” then the next person has to spot a “B,” and so on. It’s harder than it sounds!
• Create your own version of “Carpool Karaoke,” alternating between everyone’s favorite tunes. Film them for some hilarious memories to look back on.
• Play “20 Questions” or “Would You Rather”—then prepare for the brain teasers and laughs that will ensue!
• At stop lights in remote areas, see how many times a person can run around the car before the light turns green again—great for older kids, and please only do so if it’s safe.
• Listen to podcasts or books on tape—a fun and educational way to pass the time on particularly long stretches of road! Podcasts the whole family will love: “Wow in the World” and “Storynory.”
Wherever the open road takes you, we hope it’s filled with fun, adventure, and memories to last a lifetime!