For most women and some men, there are two kinds of travelers: those who shop and those who lie about it. Wherever you vacation, chances are you will want to find at least a few souvenirs. So why not vacation somewhere known for fabulous retail therapy?
Here’s a quick look at five hot spots where you can shop until you drop, then rest up in your ResorTime vacation rental and shop some more.
1. New York City topped best shopping in the world lists of CNN, the Travel Channel and Fodor’s in 2013 along with coming in first or second on Conde Nast Traveler’s list of the top U.S. cities for shopping (“CN Traveler List”) and USA Today’s Reader’s Choice List of the 10 best U.S. shopping cities (“USA Today Reader’s Choice List”).
2. Santa Monica is the Westside sister of Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood and other iconic Los Angeles suburbs. Both Third Street Promenade and the re-imagined Santa Monica Place mall have made Santa Monica a must-stop place to shop. And you can’t beat a city where you can shop next within a block of the Santa Monica Pier. Los Angeles made both the Travel Channel List and the CN Traveler List for its variety of shopping experiences in various suburbs, including Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, Abbot Kinney Boulevard in Venice and low-key shops on York Boulevard in Highland Park.
3. Laguna Beach offers unique artisan shops and galleries and is within a half hour of several nearby shopping attractions. A stone’s throw away is Newport Beach, whose glitzy independent stores and upscale Fashion Island shopping center garnered Newport a spot on the CN Traveler List. Irvine Spectrum Center is a 14-minute drive from Laguna Beach, and the 250 upscale boutiques in South Coast Plaza are just 20 minutes away.
4. Las Vegas was once nicknamed “Lost Wages” for gamblers that leave with empty pockets. These days shoppers can stretch their wages and go home with unique jewelry, clothing and home décor. Las Vegas made Fodor’s global list, and was near the top of both the CN Traveler List and USA Today Reader’s Choice List . With its variety of jaw-dropping retail experiences from The Forum Shops at Caesars Palace and The Grand Canal Shoppes at The Venetian to deals at Las Vegas Premium Outlets, it’s no wonder that shopping has become one of Las Vegas’ top attractions.
5. Honolulu made the CN Traveler List for the sensational shopping at the Ala Moana Shopping Center in Waikiki. Ala Moana is the world’s largest outdoor open-air shopping mall with more than 240 stores and 60 restaurants in the 50-acre complex. 10Best.com, a division of USA Today Travel recommends Waikele Outlet Mall for deals and the International Marketplace for handcrafted goods and jewelry.
When you are ready to plan a retail therapy vacation, call a ResorTime travel concierge at (877) 477-7368 or visit us online for a chat.
Sources: http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-traveler/2013/11/best-shopping-cities-united-states_slideshow_9-Honolulu_2; http://www.fodors.com/news/photos/worlds-15-best-cities-for-shopping#!13-crystals-mall-las-vegas-shopping-2; http://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/hawaii/honolulu-and-oahu/review-96733.html; http://www.10best.com/destinations/hawaii/honolulu/shopping/shopping-centers-districts/